I suggest you ...

Add more repository editing capabilities

This app is already awesome as it is (no other app appears to let your edit code), but there's a few things that I'd like to be added. Most of these are things you can do in the web page, but not in the app.

Create files - I don't know if this is already present and I just haven't found it, but it appears that I cannot create new files. Creating subdirectories or creating files in subdirectories should be added too (e.g. let the user create a file named subdirectory/actual_file.sh)

Move and delete files - should be self-explanatory. A warning would stop accidental deletions.

Import files - I love being able to open files in Dropbox, but it would be great to be able to import as well (Penultimate is an app that can do this, if you want to know what I'm talking about)

Edit repository description - once again, self-explanatory.

Create/merge/delete branches - ditto

Create tags and releases (and view them)

I don't know if all of these are possible with the public api, but it would be great to add what you can (although some parts don't sound easy - e.g. branches).

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trung NguyenTrung Nguyen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Dillon BuchananAdminDillon Buchanan (Developer, Dillon Buchanan) responded  · 

Ah yes. I expect this request to be very popular. I love it. Unfortunately, GitHub provides only a handleful of API’s to modify files within a repository. “Edit” was just added last release and next release I’ll look to add “Create” and “Delete” with the abiliy to “Import” files as well. However, that’s pretty much where the party stops unless GitHub adds more features to manipulate branches/tags/releases.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Trung NguyenTrung Nguyen commented  · 

Also, when creating releases, it would be great to be able to import binary files from Dropbox.

Feedback and Knowledge Base